Friday, January 21, 2011

Taking a Cue From Woz

Caroline Wozniacki's presser has made me imagine all the wonderful things I would ask tennis pros in an ideal world.

Awesome.

That's all I could think when I watched this. How clever of world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki to embark on a little renegade P.R. work to further her own cause, which, as far as I can tell, is to become the most sought after flaxen-haired tennis player in all the land.

With this genuine and funny and now viral video, Wozniacki has created a buzz, and hopefully she'll inspire a few journalists in Melbourne to take her advice, and loosen up a bit in the pressers.

Sure, we all want to hear Kei Nishikori answer a question about Brad Gilbert, but do we need to hear the same question after every match? Why not ask him to bust out his Ipod and crank up some of that J-pop music from Japan that he claims to like?

And sure, we're all very eager to find out if Justine Henin was tight in the 2nd set tiebreaker against Svetlana Kuznetsova yesterday, but once we get that out of the way, why not ask her what was the most glasses of Bordeaux she's ever consumed on the night before a match? Now there's something I'd really love to see her answer.

I agree that there is a time and a place for everything, and it wouldn't always be proper to ask Venus whether she thought her dog is cuter than Maria Sharapova's dog -- but at a certain point the people in the press room need to heed Wozniacki's advice.

Here are seven things that I would ask if I was in Melbourne today, and it was an ideal world (not happening, unfortunately):

1. To Andy Roddick: I heard you mention to Jim Courier that your wife made out with Adam Sandler in a scene from her latest movie. I'm just curious if you know how many takes they did to get the scene finished, and I'm wondering if you're having issues with it the way that Andre had issues when the guy from Friends licked Brooke Shields' hand?

2. To Svetlana Kuznetsova: Do you realize what kind of a punk you come off as when you don't shake someone's hand after a match, regardless of the circumstances?

3. To Gael Monfils: Have you ever considered a career in something where they aren't so picky about the score?

4. To Andy Murray: Do you ever get embarrassed when Judy is getting all rowdy in the box, or are you impervious to that sort of thing? I ask, because my mom used to embarrass the heck out of me when I was a high-school grappler. It was terrible. All the kids used to rag me for it.

5. To Richard Gasquet: How the heck is Pamela these days?

6. To Justine Henin: How come Kim is so superior to you these days? Do you think it's karma, talent, a combination of both, or is it the elbow?

7. To Feliciano Lopez: Would you ever consider coming out of the tunnel shirtless on a white horse before a match, or would that affect your pre-match routine?

1 comment:

  1. Haha, Feli on a white horse would be perfect. I'm actually pretty sure he'd go for it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your two cents here!